Home Page

What will school do?

What will the school do if they think my child has special educational needs?


  1. The school will contact you at the earliest opportunity to discuss any concerns.

  2. Once it has been agreed that a child has additional needs, they will be placed on the Special Educational Needs Register under the category of SEN Support.

  3. School will begin to assess your child; this may be formal or informal assessments at this stage.

  4. They may receive extra support or intervention if this is felt appropriate.

  5. Your child will receive 3 reviews each year whilst they are on the SEN register.

  6. If they continue to make slow progress or have ongoing problems then the school may ask for advice from outside agencies.

  7. A small number of children may go on to have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC) - these are for the most complex children that have significant and ongoing needs. If a child has an EHC plan then they will also have an additional annual review and the plan can stay with them up to the age of 25 if it is deemed necessary.